Sunday 9 August 2015

Holiday Blues

Hey guys!

As it's summer, there's no better way to spend it than going on holiday, spending your days by the river or on the beach with friends, having water fights and reading by the pool, am I right?! 

Well if you don't live in a place where it rains 24/7 that is.. 

Luckily for me, I got to travel to Northern Ireland in July, where I visited my Grandparents and some of my Dad's brothers and sisters. My family and I go over every year but usually for more than just one week! As it was a shorter visit this year, we had to somehow squeeze all the traveling, visiting and activities into the time that we had.. Which also meant shopping trips for me had to be reduced to only one day, boo! 

However, I did have just as much fun traveling around NI and visiting my favourite places with my parents and younger brother.

Although it rained a lot, the three nights we stayed in Belfast were just as great as every other year we go, if not better. We went sight seeing for the millionth time and done our usual walks around the beautiful areas. Two of my favourite places in Belfast to visit - apart from the main shopping streets - are the Titanic Quarters and the Stormont Parliament Buildings.


Even in horrible rain it's breathtakingly beautiful.
Just behind Titanic Belfast is the Titanic studios where one of my favourite TV shows gets filmed - Game Of Thrones. Sadly, we haven't met any of the cast members over the years, but that day is still yet to come!


Jon Snow, show yourself!

The grounds and surrounding areas at Stormont are great for family walks, doing your daily exercise, being glued to your camera and there's a park nearby for the kids to have fun. The beauty of the area overwhelms me whenever we visit.




The other four nights we were in Northern Ireland, we stayed in my Dad's hometown - Ballymena. I always love visiting there. The locals are all so friendly and the town is great for having a walk around the busy streets and shopping centres. However, Ballymena is also near the coast where we usually end up every year. Portstewart is one of my favourite places, like ever. (WE ARE NEVER EVER EVER.. Cara, stop!!)

Anyways.. As I was saying, Portstewart is one of my favourite places. Even though it's a small town, it's always busy. The main street is filled with ice cream shops, local shops, more ice cream shops and oh, more ice cream shops. You're basically in ice cream heaven. There's also a play park that is usually filled with screaming children, who are having the time of their lives whilst their parents tell each other the daily gossip. My brother and I used to pretend we were pirates on the climbing frames and managed to, somehow, persuade some of the other children to join in with our madness.

Walking by the sea and along to the harbour whilst taking in the beauty of the area and the smell and sound of the sea is one of the things I love about the town. Everything's much better by the sea. 


Hot Fudge and Yellow Man. What more could you want!?


I miss the atmosphere of Northern Ireland in general. Back home just isn't the same. Every year when we arrive back on Scottish soil I start counting down the days until the next time we go. I miss the small towns at the coast, waking up knowing that I'd get another cup of aero hot chocolate that day (wow, I'm sad), the locals, the bakeries - they are to die for over there! I miss seeing my relatives every night and the list goes on.

Have any of you been on holiday this year yet? If so, I hope you had just as much fun as I did!

Have a great day!

Cara x

4 comments:

  1. Portstewart sounds amaaazing! Beautiful photos, sounds like you had a lovely time with the family :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend visiting there so much, it's lovely! Thank you, it was great :) x

      Delete
  2. Awww we just moved from Northern Ireland. All those places are so dear to me <3
    xox N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, where about in Northern Ireland did you stay? :) oxx

      Delete